Monday, February 16, 2009

I got some cool records.




There's a place on Passyunk called the Beautiful World Syndicate (check their MySpace) that I like. They have a ton of old vinyl, $5 used CDs, DVDs, etc. It can be a lot of work looking through all the titles, sometimes pulling out vinyl one at a time because the bins are so full or they're under a table, but it pays off sometimes and you find a gem or three.

I got a Gang Starr record called Daily Operation from '92. So sick. It's got some of the best '90s hip hop songs to speak of: "The Place Where We Dwell," "Ex Girl to Next Girl," and "Take It Personal."

I also got some weird compilations on vinyl. I found Volume 2 of Super Disco Brake's, which I think is just songs that people sample. Here are the songs:

James Brown's "Funky Drummer"
Juice's "Catch a Groove"
Harlem Underground Band's "Smokin' Cheeba Cheeba"
Bill Withers' "Use Me"
Cymande's "Dove" (used by the Fugees on The Score)
Ann Winley's "Watch Dog"
Meters' "Sophisticated Cissy"

The real gem, though, is an LP called Breakdancing. That's it. No artist or anything. It's from 1984 and it reports to be based on the Avon book Breakdancing. Not only are there instructions between songs, there's a diagram sleeve that I have photographed and posted here. Here's that song lineup:

Malcolm McLaren and the World Famous Supreme Team's "Buffalo Gals"
Herbie Hancock's "Rockit"
Lisa-Lisa and Cult Jam with Full Force's "I Wonder If I Take You Home"
George Kranz's "Trommeltanz (Din Daa Daa)"
Run-D.M.C.'s "It's Like That"
John Rocca's "I Want It To Be Real"
Kid Savage and the Supreme Rockers' "Drive Me Crazy"
C-Bank's "One More Shot"
Grand Master Melle Mel and the Furious Five's "White Lines (Don't Do It)"
The Rocksteady Crew's "Hey You (The Rocksteady Crew)"

No comments: