Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Favorites.





Some great new records are constantly coming my way. And with my writing the 30 Second jobs for Philly Weekly I'm getting quite good at being concise. I just want any readers to check out some titles for themselves, download, go to shows, etc.

#1 - Le Loup's Family

I effing love this record. It might seem at first like indie new-agey world music, but it's a beautiful hybrid of Animal Collective/Panda Bear and Sufjan/Jens folky guitar-oriented strumming. Can't get enough of it. Great reading music.

#2 - Japandroids' Post-Nothing

You've already seen this on my 30 Second Review, but it's truly fantastic noisy post-punk rock music. It's fuzzy, it's not super hi-fi, it's young and passionate, it's simple and it wails. I'm not a heavy rock fanatic, so you know this isn't screaming (or it is, but it's more like yelping and it comes across softly with its mediocre recording quality) or head-banging. It's very charming and endearing.

#3 - The xx's xx

My friend JT just sent this to me and I had to go to Pitchfork to figure out what their deal was. They're four London twenty-ish kids who play with guitars, ambience and machines to achieve a soft, ethereally beautiful pop sound. It's haunting and focuses on their hushed, luscious voices and doesn't need a drummer, somehow. The songs are mostly about sex, needs and wants. So that helps.

#4 - Maxwell's BLACKsummers'night

Still listening to this early-mid summer release. It's a beautiful, slowly infectious record full of great songs beyond the fucking precious single, "Pretty Wings." It's perfect sexy times music but also great background noise or reading music. It's soft, sultry, soulful and just ultra-listenable.

No comments: